Friday 9 November 2012

Audience Research (Existing Reader Profile)


This is a reader profile from the popular rock music magazine ‘NME’ as the genre of this magazine is slightly similar to the genre of magazine that I would like to do, I thought that this reader profile would be a suitable example to write about. We can see that the target audience for this magazine is men due to the colour scheme being quite dark and all the pictures associated with the readers. Jack Daniels, Topman and Cars are all things that you would associate with a male audience. Also it states how their readers also enjoy watching films and using mobile phones (and obviously love music). The target age range for this magazine will be 15-24 and 24-35, I can tell this because the features of this reader profile include things like beer and cars that only the mature readers will be able to relate to. However, things like X-Box’s and Men’s clothing will obviously to appeal to a younger generation of readers that maybe are not old enough to drive or drink but can still enjoy the magazine because they enjoy the music that is featured in this magazine.

By looking at this magazine's readership level (388,000) I can see that this is a very popular magazine and that the audience enjoy reading it every time it comes out due to all the positive comments about it such as; "I can trust it" and "Honest no-holds barred reviews" which shows that people trust what this magazine has to say and really look in depth into its reviews and its opinions.

In relation to planning my magazine, this has helped me establish some of the things I should include in my magazine if I want to appeal to a male audience. For example, I should chose competitions were the winner could win a camera or a new laptop, however, I will also need to bear in mind that this reader profile is designed to appeal to an audience with a median age of 23 whereas my magazine is trying to appeal to a much older audience but the most popular things like cars and beer are an all-round thing that men as a gender group enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment